St Oliver’s National School LH009
Pupils in St. Oliver’s N.S. are hoping to achieve the Science and Maths Excellence Award again this year. We are aiming for a Plaque of STEM Excellence so we completed lots of Science activities this year!
There are several steps that we have completed with the aim of attaining this award again:
Step 1 Science
Provide evidence of the children engaging in hands-on science investigations in school:
6 hands-on science investigations, with at least one from each of the four strands. These can be from any of the four strands:
- Living things
- Environmental awareness and care
- Invite a science speaker to your school
- BT Young Scientists Present Projects In St. Oliver’s N.S.
Step 2 Technology (ICT)
Provide evidence of how the children used technology as part of their school work.
2 or more examples of the children using ICT
- Whole School Cyber Safety Workshop
- Galway Groupwork (Online Research)
- Amazing Aztecs
- World War II Projects
- Typing Club Commences
Step 3 Engineering
Provide evidence of how children investigated engineering in class or in the local area.
2 or more examples of the children investigating engineering in class or in the local area
- National Lego Building Prize Presentation 3rd Place
- Lego Workshop 1st
- Lego Workshop in 5th and 6th
- Making and Building in JI
- Marshmallow Construction Challenge
Step 4 Maths
Provide evidence of how the children used their maths skills.
2 or more examples of the children using their maths skills as part of their science work
Step 5 Stem Showcase
Provide evidence that the children have presented and explained their STEM work to others (beyond their own class)